RUGBY, TEXAS. Rugby, four miles northwest of Bogata in southwestern Red River County, was settled before the Civil War and had a general store and a cotton gin by 1870. A church was organized in 1892. A post office, with William R. Bartlett as postmaster, operated from 1900 until 1907; it was reestablished in 1914. In the early decades of the twentieth century the community supported three gins, two stores, a blacksmith, a doctor, and Presbyterian and Methodist congregations. The post office, however, was discontinued in 1929. From 1925 through 1966 the community had an estimated population of seventy-five. From 1968 through 2000 the population was estimated at twenty-four, and the settlement had no rated businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "RUGBY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr52), accessed July 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.