SALT GAP, TX
SALT GAP, TEXAS. Salt Gap, named for nearby Salt Creek, is on Farm roads 503 and 504, less than half a mile from the Concho county line in western McCulloch County. A post office operated there from 1905 to 1913 and from 1924 to sometime after 1930. During the mid-1930s Salt Gap comprised a school, a gin, a gristmill, and two stores. A peak population of sixty was reported in 1939. Salt Gap had twenty-five residents in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
T. Lindsay Baker, Ghost Towns of Texas (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1986). Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SALT GAP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns07), accessed November 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.