SANTA CATARINA, TX
SANTA CATARINA, TEXAS. Santa Catarina, a dryland farming community on Farm Road 755 six miles south of La Gloria and twenty miles northeast of Rio Grande City in Starr County, was first settled about 1809 as a part of the Kelsay Ranch. By the mid-1960s the community had twenty residents and a filling station, a grocery, and a cotton gin. In 1970 its population was forty-five, but its last store closed in 1978. Though in 1990 the Texas Almanac reported a population of forty-eight at Santa Catarina, a 1991 local report noted that only two families lived at the community. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "SANTA CATARINA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns18), accessed April 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.