SEXTON, TEXAS. Sexton is at the junction of State Highway 87 and Farm Road 330, sixteen miles northwest of Hemphill in northern Sabine County. It may have been named for Franklin Barlow Sexton, a lawyer and politician who lived in Sabine County during the 1850s. The community received a post office in 1860 which was closed during the Civil War, was reestablished in 1879, and permanently closed in 1927. In 1884 Sexton had a population of thirty; in 1890 it had a store, a gristmill, and a population estimated at sixty. From 1968 through 1990 the population was estimated at twenty-seven. In 1987 the community had two churches and one small business. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SEXTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns35), accessed July 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.