SHADY GROVE, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Cherokee County). Shady Grove, near the junction of U.S. Highway 84 and Farm Road 2962 eight miles northeast of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County, was probably first settled after the Civil War. A school was operation by 1896, when it had enrollment of twenty-six. In the 1930s the small community had a store and a few houses; the reported population in 1936 was twenty. After World War II the store closed, and in 1990 Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community with a church, a few scattered houses, and a population of twenty. The population reached thirty in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SHADY GROVE, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns36), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.