SHARP, TEXAS. Sharp is on Farm Road 487 twelve miles northwest of Rockdale in western Milam County. It grew up around a Presbyterian church that was established in the 1870s and was named for William Franklin Sharp, a physician in nearby Davilla. A post office opened at Sharp in 1900 but was discontinued in 1906. The community gave its name to a school district that included Lilac, Duncan, and Oakville in 1931; Friendship joined the Sharp district in 1948, Val Verde joined in 1949, and Tracy in 1956. In 1960 Sharp and these other communities elected to be consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District. Sharp had twenty-five residents in 1933. By the early 1940s the population had increased to 100 but fell to sixty by 1952. Two churches and three businesses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1980s. Seventy-five residents were reported in 1988 through 2000.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage and Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SHARP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns39), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.