SHIELD, TEXAS. Shield, at the intersection of Farm roads 2131 and 1026, twelve miles southwest of Santa Anna in south central Coleman County, started as a Baptist church settlement founded by missionary J. R. McCorkle in 1900. The settlers called the place Double Gates. In 1906 Miles Vance built a cotton gin, and L. L. Shield established a store and named the community for himself. In 1940 the community had a store and 125 people. The population had declined to thirteen by 1980. It was still thirteen in 1990.
Leona Bruce, They Came in Peace to Coleman County (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Beatrice Grady Gay, "SHIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns42), accessed March 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.