SHIVE, TEXAS. Shive, on Farm Road 221 in west central Hamilton County, was settled in the 1870s by Lewis Paullin and others and had a school, Union Hill, by 1883. A post office was established in 1884, when Robert Shive, for whom the town is named, was appointed postmaster. The post office was in a store operated by Robert and his brother, James W. Shive. The following year German settlers arrived. The community had four stores by 1908, and a cotton gin operated for some years. The post office closed in 1936. The population was fifty in 1910, sixty-four in 1940, and sixty-one in 1980 through 2000.
Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "SHIVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns44), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.