SLIDE, TEXAS. Slide is on Farm roads 1730 and 41 thirteen miles southwest of Lubbock in southern Lubbock County. It was first known as Block Twenty in the 1890s, but in 1903 W. R. Standefer resurveyed the area and determined that most settlers were two miles off their proper sites. Residents "slid" over to their right sections. Buildings were moved west, and the event was commemorated in the name. Next to Lubbock, Slide is the oldest community in Lubbock County. Early settlers included Jim Malroy, Jim Rieger, J. C. Stanford, J. A. Cannon, and M. L. Williams. The settlers hauled lumber from Colorado City to build homes and the school. The town had a post office from 1904 to 1915 and again from 1917 to 1929. In 1942 the population was unofficially noted at ten. There were two businesses in 1961–62, when the population was forty. In 1970–71 the population was the same, but the community had lost its businesses. From the late 1980s through 2000 Slide had forty-four residents and no businesses.
Mary Louise McDonald, The History of Lubbock County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "SLIDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns53), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.