SNIPE, TEXAS. Snipe, a farming community on the Missouri Pacific line and Oyster Creek three miles southwest of Angleton in central Brazoria County, was named by its first postmaster, Raymond Weems, for a facetious reference made to the place by his father's hunting partner. Snipe was established in an area formerly known as the Ward Plantation vicinity on land originally granted to Asa Mitchell. Around 1905 the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway laid lines in the area. Residents requested the flag stop be called Ed Matthews, after an early settler, but the railroad used the name Edmonds instead. A post office operated there from 1921 to 1949 and served the Retrieve Prison Farm. By 1929 a railroad bunkhouse and commissary was operating at the townsite. The community reported one business and fifteen residents in the early 1930s. A 1932 storm destroyed the Ward Plantation house. The population rose to seventy-five in 1970 and to seventy-eight in 1974, but by 1988 Snipe had disappeared.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SNIPE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns57), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.