SODVILLE, TEXAS. Sodville is at the intersection of Farm roads 1074 and 1944, seven miles south of Sinton and four miles west of Taft in southern San Patricio County. In the early 1900s the George H. Paul Land Company divided up ranchlands in the area and sold them as farms. According to some sources, real estate agents were the first to refer to the farmlands west of Taft as Sodville. In 1908 the Sodville schoolhouse was built; a Union Sunday School shared the building. By 1910 a store was operating in the community, and by 1912 two gins had opened there. In 1914 the Sodville Baptist Church was organized, and in 1916 its members constructed a building. Sodville became an independent school district in 1920, and at one time the district had more than 300 students enrolled. By the 1930s Sodville had an estimated fifty residents and three businesses. A new brick schoolhouse was built there in 1938. The school district was consolidated with Sinton in 1947, and the Sodville Baptist Church disbanded in 1961 because of declining membership. In the 1980s Sodville was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of forty.
Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SODVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns59), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.