STACY, TEXAS. Stacy is on Farm Road 503 a half mile south of the Colorado River six miles north of Doole in the northwestern corner of McCulloch County. It was first called Brown Town, after Julia and Susan Brown, widows of two settlers who had come to the area in 1876. The Browntown School was 1½ miles east of the present townsite. When the post office opened in 1897, the community's name was changed to Stacy in honor of M. J. Stacy, who had built a store in 1890. Several businesses were in operation by 1906. A bridge was built over the Colorado River near Stacy in 1911. The town had 200 residents in 1914 and remained at 189 throughout the 1930s and early 1940s. It reported forty residents in 1949 and twenty in 1988 through 2000.
Jessie Laurie Barfoot, History of McCulloch County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "STACY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns74), accessed July 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.