STAMPEDE, TX (BELL COUNTY)
STAMPEDE, TEXAS (Bell County). Stampede is on Stampede Creek and Farm Road 2601, twelve miles northwest of Temple in northern Bell County. The creek's name probably derived from some cattle-driving mishap. The community had a post office from 1883 to 1901 and a general store in 1896. The Stampede school served fifty-nine pupils in 1903. In 1933 Stampede reached a peak population of sixty-two and supported one business. By 1949 the population had fallen to thirty, and the community had a business, the school, and a Baptist church. By 1964 Stampede had only ten inhabitants living in several scattered dwellings. The population was still recorded as ten through 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "STAMPEDE, TX (BELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns76), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.