STANFIELD, TEXAS. Stanfield is on Farm Road 2332 fifteen miles northeast of Henrietta in northeastern Clay County. The area was settled by Joe Campbell in 1883, and the site was part of a 22,000-acre tract later purchased by the Stanfield Brothers Ranch, from which the community derived its name. A post office operated in Stanfield from 1903 to 1905. The population was reported as fifty through the 1940s and 1950s, when the community had two businesses. By the mid-1960s Stanfield had a population of thirty and no businesses. After that it reported a population of twenty-five through 1990. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
William Charles Taylor, A History of Clay County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "STANFIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns77), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.