STERRETT, TEXAS. Sterrett is on U.S. Highway 77 five miles north of Waxahachie in north central Ellis County. The area was settled before 1850; the county's first recorded marriage was performed there. By 1852 two stores and a cotton gin operated in the area. The arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in 1889 attracted settlers, and the following year a post office called Sterrett, after James Sterrett, a pioneer settler, began operation. The post office remained in operation until 1929. The small farming community recorded a population of seventy-five between 1925 and 1952, while its businesses declined from three to two. In the 1980s through 2000 twenty-eight persons lived in the community.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "STERRETT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns84), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.