STONE POINT, TX
STONE POINT, TEXAS. Stone Point, on State Highway 243 seven miles west of Canton in west central Van Zandt County, was first settled in 1878 by families from southern states migrating west and named for its location at the base of a rocky hill. It began with the founding on December 22, 1889, of Dawson Community Presbyterian Church, named for founder Rev. William Dawson. Two rival country stores, a gin, a gristmill, and a blacksmith shop were established in the town. Four churches were constructed by 1896. The town shipped cotton, and area farmers established a Farmers' Alliance. The Stone Point post office operated from 1879 to 1928, when mail was delivered from Canton. The local school was established by 1890, reached an enrollment of sixty-one in 1906, and was consolidated with the Canton Independent School District by the 1950s. In 1936 the community had two businesses, a church, a school, and scattered dwellings, but by 1988 only the Scott development remained. The population of 150 in 1885 dwindled to twenty-five during the 1930s, rose to thirty-two in 1974, and remained thirty-two through 2000.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "STONE POINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns89), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.