STRATTON, TEXAS. Stratton is on Farm Road 1447 nine miles northeast of Cuero in eastern DeWitt County. It was established as a post office in November 1887 and named for John Stratton, a Cuero saddler, who owned land in the area. William W. McKissack opened a store in 1890, to which the post office was moved from a private residence. The community prospered and for a while had a drugstore, a gin, a gristmill, and two blacksmiths; the estimated population in 1896 was twenty. The post office was discontinued in 1905, and the original store closed in 1943. The Stratton school operated from 1891 until 1951. Primitive Baptists organized a church in 1883 and, until the Pilgrim Rest Church was erected in 1912, held services in the school. In 1933 Stratton had two businesses. From 1933 through 2000 twenty-five people were reported.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "STRATTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns95), accessed December 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.