SUMNER, TEXAS. Sumner, on Farm Road 79 eight miles northwest of Paris in northwestern Lamar County, was named for an early settler, Moses Sumner. A post office was established at the settlement in 1885. In 1891 the population was 100, and the town had several general stores, two gins, and two physicians. By 1892 the population had risen to 150, and mail was delivered daily. Sumner had a school in 1898 with sixty-three pupils and one teacher. The population was 250 in the late 1920s. After this the population began to decline and was eighty in 1990. In 1983 the town had a business, a school, one church, and a factory. The population was eighty in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John M. Santry, "SUMNER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnsaa), accessed December 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.