SYLVAN, TEXAS. Sylvan, off Farm Road 2121 seven miles east of Paris in east central Lamar County, was built around a school established in the late 1860s. It was named by Henry Campbell for the grove in which it was built. By 1884 Sylvan had a population of 100, three churches, two steam gristmills, three cotton gins, and a district school with sixty pupils and one teacher. In 1936 Sylvan had two businesses, a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. By 1964 it had a business, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. The population remained just above sixty from the 1950s to the 1980s. A post office operated in the town from 1882 to 1907. In 1990 the population was sixty-eight. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Shannon Nunnelley, "SYLVAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnsae), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.