SAND FLATS, TX
SAND FLATS, TEXAS. Sand Flats is a dispersed rural community located north of Farm Road 1146 near Lake Limestone in the northwestern corner of Leon County. Named for the region's sandy soils, this area developed as a farming settlement in the mid-1800s. In the 1870s one of the earliest settlers, Seaborn Curtis Foley, operated a stage line that came through the area. Though the community of Sand Flats never had a church or school, the region saw considerable agricultural commerce with the operation of gins in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Activity in the region declined during the Great Depression of the 1930s. By the late twentieth century much of the surrounding area was strip-mined for coal. In 2000 the population was thirty-two.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "SAND FLATS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnsas), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.