TURLINGTON, TEXAS. Turlington is on U.S. Highway 84 four miles southeast of Fairfield in southeast Freestone County. It received a post office with Joseph M. Parker as postmaster in 1901, when a store, gristmill, cotton gin, sawmill, and blacksmith shop were in operation. The community was named for a doctor who lived in the area. In 1915 the population was estimated at 100. It started to decline in the 1920s, and by the late 1930s Turlington had a church, a school, two businesses, and a population of twenty. The post office was closed in 1935. By 1982 only scattered dwellings remained; the population was estimated at twenty-seven in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "TURLINGTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnt34), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.