VALERA, TEXAS. Valera, at the junction of U.S. Highway 67 and Farm Road 503, in west central Coleman County, was developed on the George P. Cleveland ranch and named by Santa Fe Railroad officials in 1886. Its railroad location secured a modest prosperity. In 1946 Valera had a school, churches, seventeen businesses, and 500 people. Subsequently the community declined. In 1980 through 2000 Valera had a population of eighty and a post office.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Beatrice Grady Gay, "VALERA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnv02), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.