VERIBEST, TEXAS. Veribest is on Farm Road 380 eleven miles east of San Angelo in eastern Tom Green County. Isaac "Ike" Mullins, who came to the county some time before 1875, gave the land for a school and the Mullins Cemetery, where he is buried. Mullins Crossing on the Concho River still bears the Mullins name. The community of Mullins developed into a town in the early 1900s, but when C. A. Roberson applied for a post office in 1926, there was already a town in Texas with that name. A new name, Veribest, was chosen, and the town began to grow in the 1930s. By 1936 the community had two churches, a school, and two factories, and by 1940 the population reached 100, and five businesses were in operation. Residents left to seek employment during World War II, and by 1949 the population had declined to forty and the businesses to two. In the 1980s two businesses and two factories were in operation. In 2005 Veribest had a United Methodist church and a Baptist church, both involved in community outreach to local dairy workers. The school offered classes from pre-kindergarten through the twelfth grade. The community still reported forty inhabitants, and contained seven businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Betty Jane Smith, "VERIBEST, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnv09), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.