VÍBORAS, TEXAS. Víboras was one of three communities founded in 1753 along Los Olmos Creek in what is now Starr County by settlers brought to the area by José de Escandón, governor of Nuevo Santander. The land grants that included the early settlement of Víboras were originally given to colonists from Camargo, Nuevo Santander, who devoted themselves almost exclusively to ranching. Víboras is 2½ miles north of Farm Road 2686 just west of Farm Road 649, four miles south of the Jim Hogg county line. It had a post office as early as 1909, and in 1939 the community reported one business and a population of twenty. The post office was discontinued in the late 1980s. By 1991 only one decaying building remained. In 2000 the population was twenty-two. The name means "snakes" in Spanish.
Agnes G. Grimm, Llanos Mesteñas: Mustang Plains (Waco: Texian Press, 1968). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, The Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "VIBORAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnv10), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.