VICTORIA, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
VICTORIA, TEXAS (Limestone County). Victoria is on a mail route from Mart fourteen miles west of Groesbeck in northwestern Limestone County. It was established when a store was built at a rural crossroads and named in honor of Queen Victoria. As early as 1896 the community maintained a small school of its own. Around 1930 Victoria had a population of sixty and two businesses, and by 1946 a factory was operating there. In 1966 the community population was forty, though no businesses were reported there. Beginning around 1970 Victoria had a community hall; from 1970 through 2000 the community population was reported as twenty-five.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Holly Marshall, "VICTORIA, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnv11), accessed November 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.