VINTON, TEXAS. Vinton is on the Southern Pacific Railroad and the east bank of the Rio Grande River fifteen miles northwest of downtown El Paso in northwestern El Paso County. The town, which was named for J. C. Vinton, a surveyor for the Southern Pacific, was most likely established when the railroad built through the area in the early 1880s. A post office opened there in 1892, and in 1925 the population was estimated at twenty-five. By the mid-1980s the estimated population had grown to 271, and it continued to grow in subsequent years, to 434 in the late 1980s and 605 in the early 1990s. The population tripled by 2000 and increased to 1,892.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "VINTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnv17), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.