VOSS, TEXAS. Voss, on Farm Road 503 in southwestern Coleman County, originated as the headquarters of the Leaday Ranch and was named after the ranch superintendent who petitioned for a post office. The community began to develop in 1904 and soon had three stores, two hotels, a blacksmith shop, a barber shop, a school, a gin, and a post office. In 1946 Voss still had six businesses and 120 people, but by 1980 the population had declined to twenty, although the post office still functioned. Through 2000 the population was still twenty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Beatrice Grady Gay, "VOSS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnv19), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.