WILLOW GROVE, TX
WILLOW GROVE, TEXAS. Willow Grove is just west of State Highway 6 nine miles west of downtown Waco in west central McLennan County. It was founded in 1871 by A. W. Crawford and William "Buck" Manning, a former slave. County records showed that it had a one-teacher school in 1896 which served sixty-one black students. In the early 1940s Willow Grove had fifty residents and two businesses. A school, a church, a cemetery, and several scattered houses appeared on topographic maps of the area in the 1950s. The Willow Grove school was integrated with the Speegleville schools in 1962. Population estimates remained at fifty from the 1960s through 1990. By 2000 the population had doubled to 100.
Vertical File, Texas Collection, Baylor University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WILLOW GROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw01), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.