WALTER, TEXAS. Walter was near the site where present-day Farm Road 834 and State Highway 146 join, fifty miles west of Beaumont in east central Liberty County. The community grew up around Walter Abshire's general store and post office, established in 1907 on the newly constructed Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway. The Walter post office was moved one mile east to the larger townsite of Hardin and renamed in 1920. Scattered residences and businesses, now part of Hardin, mark the old Walter site. Numerous oilfields are also present throughout the surrounding countryside.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "WALTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw12), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.