WARFIELD, TEXAS. Warfield is on U.S. Highway 80, Farm Road 662, and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, just south of Midland Regional Airport five miles southwest of Midland in northwest Midland County. It was established as a flag stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway after the line was built in the early 1880s. The first post office was granted to Harry A. Rathvon on January 11, 1884, when Midland County was still a part of Tom Green County. By 1912 a rural school had been built. The post office was discontinued or reestablished seven times within thirty years before mail service was permanently routed through Midland in 1915. In 1940 Warfield had a store, a school, and a population of twenty. The site was still listed as a railroad switch on 1980 county maps.
Tommy Ray Hopson, A History of Midland County, Texas (M.A. thesis, Stephen F. Austin State University, 1969). Midland County Historical Society, The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas, 1880–1926 (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "WARFIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw18), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.