WEAVER, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
WEAVER, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Weaver, on U.S. Highway 67 twelve miles east of Sulphur Springs in eastern Hopkins County, was established in the late 1880s as a station on the newly constructed St. Louis Southwestern Railway. In 1887 C. W. Bryant, who operated a store at the site, was appointed ticket agent for the railroad, and the following year the White Oak post office was moved to his store. The new post office was named for J. A. Weaver of Sulphur Springs, who was instrumental in locating the town and securing the right-of-way. A public school began operating around 1900, and in 1905 it had an enrollment of seventy-three. By 1914 Weaver had four general stores, two gins, a telephone connection, and an estimated population of 200. The post office closed, and by 1925 the population dropped to 100. In 1948 Weaver had three stores, two churches, a one-teacher school, a cemetery, and a population of 100. The school was later consolidated with Saltillo school, and by the mid-1970s the population had fallen to thirty-five. In the late 1980s Weaver was a dispersed community with a store, a church, and a few scattered houses. The population in 1990 was estimated at thirty-five. The population remained the same in 2000.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "WEAVER, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw27), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.