WEBB, TX (WEBB COUNTY)
WEBB, TEXAS (Webb County). Webb is just off Interstate Highway 35, twenty miles north of Laredo in Webb County. It was established as a shipping point on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1881 and in 1890 had a station on the San Antonio division of the railroad. The town derived its name from that of the county. A Webb post office, established in 1909, was still in operation in 1980. In 1914 the community had a population of 100 and a telephone connection. Hugh Larimer ran a general store, C. H. Clifton was a prominent cattle breeder, and J. E. Hill was the grocer. In 1936 Webb had a population of twenty-five and two businesses. A Webb school was operating in 1942. The population rose by 1957 to forty and remained at that number until 1982; during this time the community supported two businesses. In 1990 the population was still a recorded forty.
Thomas Estell Terry, A Survey and Proposed Plan for the Reorganization of the Public Schools of Webb County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1943).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Gratke, "WEBB, TX (WEBB COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw29), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.