WHITE CITY, TX (GAINES COUNTY)
WHITE CITY, TEXAS (Gaines County). White City, in northeastern Gaines County on Cedar Lake, is a ghost town which originated in 1939 after voters approved the sale of beer. Soon the town had a lumberyard, a grocery, a barbershop, four or five bars, two dance halls, an outdoor dance pavilion, and a two-story hotel and cafe. The post office was built in 1940 or 1941. Oilfields nearby helped White City prosper for a few years, although the population numbered only ten in 1943 and twenty in 1948. Voters later rejected the local sale of beer, and by the late 1950s the businesses and the post office closed down, and the residents moved away.
Gaines County Historical Survey Committee, The Gaines County Story, ed. Margaret Coward (Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "WHITE CITY, TX (GAINES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw38), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.