WHITE CITY, TX (WILBARGER COUNTY)
WHITE CITY, TEXAS (Wilbarger County). White City is on Farm Road 924 ten miles north of Vernon in northwestern Wilbarger County. It took its name from James Franklin White, who came with his family to the area in 1890. The Crescent Cove School had been established there a year before. By the early 1900s the town had a peach orchard, a gin, a Baptist church, a school, and a store. Crescent Cove School was consolidated with the Northside district in 1940. The population was reported at forty from the 1930s through 1990. The White City Gin, founded in 1908, remained active in 1986. County maps of the 1980s indicated three businesses in the community. The population was forty in 2000.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "WHITE CITY, TX (WILBARGER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw40), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.