WINKLER, TEXAS. Winkler is on Farm Road 416 four miles from Walker Lake on the border of Navarro and Freestone counties. It was founded around 1879 and named for Judge Clinton M. Winkler. The first post office was established in 1879 and discontinued after 1930. In 1906 a Winkler school enrolled thirty-six students and employed one teacher. The Texas State Gazetteer and Business Directory reported seventy-five people, three general stores, a gin, and two steam gristmills in Winkler in 1882. The town's population reached 150 by 1925 and remained officially at that level until the 1949 recount showed thirty residents. Winkler had a population of twenty-six and one business in 1968. The 1989 state general highway map showed a clubhouse in the vicinity, and the population remained twenty-six through 2000.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Allen, "WINKLER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw54), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.