WOODLAND, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)
WOODLAND, TEXAS (Red River County). Woodland is ten miles north of Detroit in northwestern Red River County. It formed in the late 1850s around a general store owned by Edward Stuart. A post office was opened in 1878, and by 1880 the town had a population of 150. Woodland was a market and supply center for area farmers and had a gin and two stores, one privately owned and the other a cooperative owned and operated by the Woodland Grange. By 1884 the town also had three churches, a school, three gins, and at least two mills. The population of Woodland reached its highest point in 1892, at 250. From 1900 through 1947 the population was recorded as 159. The post office was closed during the 1970s. In 1984 Woodland had an estimated fifty residents and a weekly newspaper, the Woodland Sun. In 1990 the population was 128. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "WOODLAND, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw60), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.