WOODROW, TEXAS. Woodrow is on State Highway 87 ten miles south of Lubbock in the extreme southern part of Lubbock County. When it began there was a great deal of discussion whether to name the town Woodrow or Wilson, but backers of Woodrow won out. The first school was built in 1917. When plans were in the making to improve the rural school system in Lubbock County, Woodrow was placed in District One to consolidate with a proposed new school. Consolidation was finally agreed upon, and trustees from District One were appointed. In 1936 construction was begun on a new $84,000 combination elementary and high school that would be called Cooper School. The community had a church, an industry, and scattered dwellings in the 1930s. In 1948 Woodrow had four businesses and a population of 100. In 1971 no businesses were reported, and the population was eighty. In the late 1980s Woodrow had a general store, a farm equipment repair shop, a gin, and four churches. About twenty-five residences were clustered between the school, the small business district, and a large cemetery. In 1990 the population was eighty-five. The population remained the same in 2000.
Mary Louise McDonald, The History of Lubbock County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "WOODROW, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw61), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.