WOOSLEY, TEXAS. Woosley is south of Point and east of Farm Road 47 in western Rains County. Major James Woosley and his sons settled in the area around 1870. Among other enterprises, they built a general store that became a center of community activity, and the town was named for the family. A school was in operation in Woosley by 1904, when it had an enrollment of 114. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. After World War II the school closed, and in the early 1990s only a church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained. In 2000 the reported population was forty-seven.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WOOSLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnwfs), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.