YELLOWPINE, TEXAS. Yellowpine is at the junction of Farm Road 2426 and State Highway 87, five miles south of Hemphill in the Sabine National Forest in southern Sabine County. In 1896 it had a one-teacher, one-room school with fifteen students. Maps indicate a school in Yellowpine in 1948, but by 1955 the school district had been consolidated with the Hemphill Independent School District. A post office was established in Yellowpine in 1902 and remained in operation until the early 1950s. Recorded population estimates for the community have varied from a high of seventy-five, reported in 1914, to a low of fifty-five, reported in 1925. From 1968 through 2000 the population of Yellowpine was estimated at seventy-four.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "YELLOWPINE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hny02), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.