YOUNG, TEXAS. Young is just off Farm Road 1124 ten miles northeast of Fairfield in northeastern Freestone County. It was named for an early settler of the area, Dr. Tolbert Fannin Young, who moved to Texas from Memphis, Tennessee, in 1868 and taught school at Ward Prairie before returning to Tennessee to study medicine. Young received his doctor of medicine degree from Vanderbilt University in March 1874. He then came back to Freestone County and settled in the area now named for him. He married Margaret Hill and built a fine home where he also treated his patients. Young built the first general store of the community and also had a cotton gin, gristmill, and sawmill. He donated land for one of the three schools built in the vicinity. The school closed in 1940, and Young died in 1942. A post office operated in Young from 1883 to 1926. The rich land was used for farming and raising cotton and cattle. Community activities were centered at the Round Prairie Baptist Church, established in 1883. In later years Young was known as a bootleg capital, and its product, "Freestone County Bourbon de Luxe," was famous. The population was estimated as fifty in 1926. In the late 1970s a decision was made that the area would be strip-mined for lignite coal to be used in generating electricity. In 1988 through 2000 the population of Young was twenty-seven, and the settlement had no rated businesses.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Douglas R. Shields, "YOUNG, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hny03), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.