AGNES, TEXAS. Agnes is on State Highway 199 eighteen miles north of Weatherford in north central Parker County. Settlement began there in the late 1870s, when B. B. Barnard opened a general store. The community petitioned for postal service in 1879 under the name Agnes, in honor of Agnes Mull, the daughter of a pioneer physician in North Texas. By the mid-1880s two churches, a public school, a blacksmith shop, and Barnard's General Store served the seventy-five residents. Area farmers brought their crops to Agnes to be processed at the cotton gin and gristmill. Cotton, corn, and oats were shipped on the Texas and Pacific Railway. Postal service was discontinued in 1907, though Agnes continued as a dispersed rural community throughout the twentieth century. Its population has never exceeded 100.
John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984). Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "AGNES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra14), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.