ALABAMA, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)
ALABAMA, TEXAS (Trinity County). Alabama, a rural community also known as Alabama Creek, is sixteen miles northeast of Groveton on Farm Road 357 and Alabama Creek in eastern Trinity County. The site was settled around 1865 and named for the Alabama Indians, who had moved to the area from Mississippi in the 1820s. Around 1900 the community had a store, a cotton gin, and a sawmill. A school operated there until the 1930s, when it was consolidated with the Centerville district. By the mid-1950s only scattered houses remained. The estimated population in 1990 was twenty.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ALABAMA, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra18), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.