ALTAVISTA, TEXAS. Altavista is off Farm Road 1017 twenty-two miles south of Hebbronville in east central Jim Hogg County. The site was first settled in 1890, when the Jones family purchased the Jones-Alta Vista Ranch. A post office called Altavista and a store were in operation by 1906. One business and a population estimated at twenty-five were recorded for the year 1936. In the mid-1940s Altavista had a business, a school, and row of dwellings. In the early 1990s Altavista was a dispersed community.
Hebbronville Chamber of Commerce, Fiftieth Anniversary, Jim Hogg County (Hebbronville, Texas, 1963). Jim Hogg County Enterprise, March 9, 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "ALTAVISTA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra31), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.