ANGEL CITY, TX
ANGEL CITY, TEXAS. Angel City, on State Highway 239 ten miles west of Goliad in western Goliad County, is an agricultural community that was originally owned and operated by the C. C. Ramsey Enterprises to serve its tenant farmers. The settlement was named Angel City, according to one version, because of the violent fights that often accompanied regular Sunday night dances. Another story tells that two local young women, dressed in white and watching a crew drill the town water well, reminded a worker of a couple of angels. The community, established by 1931, once had a general store, a grocery, a blacksmith shop, a dairy, a cotton gin, a dance hall, and two schools, one for Hispanic children and one for Caucasians. A population of twenty was listed from 1933 to 1948. With the decline of cotton the tenant farmers moved, the gin and store closed, and the town disappeared, although maps of the 1980s continued to mark the site as a community.
Goliad County Historical Commission, The History and Heritage of Goliad County, ed. Jakie L. Pruett and Everett B. Cole (Austin: Eakin Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "ANGEL CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra41), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.