ANTELOPE, TX (CORYELL COUNTY)
ANTELOPE, TEXAS (Coryell County). Antelope was six miles north of Copperas Cove in southwestern Coryell County. Settlers arrived in the area as early as the 1850s. The school at Antelope grew as the Refuge, Table Rock, Salem, Eliga, Ross, and House Creek schools were consolidated with it. In 1920 the Antelope school had three rooms and ten grades. Residents of Antelope had to leave their homes in the early 1940s in order to make room for the Fort Hood military reservation.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). Anice Thompson Vance et al., comps., Antelope Community, Coryell County, Texas (Temple, Texas, 1992).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "ANTELOPE, TX (CORYELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra77), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.