ANTIOCH, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
ANTIOCH, TEXAS (Smith County). Antioch is a small church community three miles northeast of Bullard in southern Smith County. By 1903 the settlement reported a one-teacher school for fifty-two white students and another for twenty-nine black students. In 1936 Antioch had a few houses, a church, the Antioch and Crow cemeteries, and a one-teacher elementary school attended by twenty black pupils. By 1952 the Antioch school district had been consolidated with the Whitehouse Independent School District. In 1973 the church, the cemeteries, a scattered collection of dwellings, and a water tank remained at the site. The community was still designated on maps in 1985. No population estimates were available in 2000.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "ANTIOCH, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra88), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.