ALLENHURST, TEXAS. Allenhurst is on Caney Creek six miles northeast of Bay City in northeast Matagorda County. It was named after Allentown, Pennsylvania, the birthplace of Jeff N. Miller, an official of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, which was built through the area in 1905. Allenhurst was a stop for passenger trains from Brownsville to Houston. By the mid-1930s it was part of the Van Vleck common school district and had a church and cemetery, a number of dwellings, and a one-room frame elementary school building. By 1952 the school was gone. County highway maps for 1989 showed one business in the community, though no population count was available for the 1990 census. By 2000 the population was listed as fifty.
Frank J. Balusek, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Schools of Matagorda County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "ALLENHURST, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra92), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.