ADAMS, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
ADAMS, TEXAS (Lamar County). Adams is 2½ miles northeast of Paris on Farm Road 195 in central Lamar County. The town's cemetery, and presumably the town as well, apparently took their name from a family of early settlers, as an infant named Bertha A. Adams was reportedly the first person buried there, in 1887. The settlement had been established by 1896, when Adams Common School reported one female teacher and twenty-four students. The community was unidentified on maps for 1936, but at the site were the school, a church and cemetery, a business, and a cluster of dwellings. In 1964 the Paris Country Club and a few scattered dwellings were located at Adams. Local students attended school in the Powderly Independent School District. Adams still appeared on maps in 1983 and was listed, without statistics, in later editions of the Texas Almanac.
Thomas S. Justiss, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Lamar County with a Plan for Their Reorganization (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "ADAMS, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hradt), accessed May 22, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.