AMHERST, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
AMHERST, TEXAS (Lamar County). Amherst is three miles northeast of Paris in central Lamar County. A post office operated there in 1904–05, and maps for 1936 showed a school and a cluster of dwellings at the site. In 1964 Amherst students attended school in Powderly. By 1970 Amherst was part of the North Lamar Independent School District. The community still appeared on maps in 1983 and was listed, without statistics, in later publications.
Thomas S. Justiss, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Lamar County with a Plan for Their Reorganization (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "AMHERST, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrajz), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.