ALCEDO, TEXAS. Alcedo was a stop on the Texas South-Eastern Railroad a mile east of the Neches River in southwestern Angelina County. It was originally on the river, but when the Southern Lumber Company of Diboll opened a logging camp, it was moved to higher ground. An Alcedo post office opened in 1916 and operated with a brief hiatus in 1919 until in 1924, when the logging camp was closed. The community was still shown on maps as late as the mid-1930s, but most of the residents evidently left the area by the mid-1920s.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ALCEDO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hraxs), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.